Friday 30 December 2011

The Sega Master years...

I finished school in 1991, I had NO idea what I wanted to do. At the time, my big brother worked for Sega Ozisoft, creating instore displays for latest game releases. Thanks to him in a way, he suggested that I call the Sega Hotline manager for a possible job on the hotline. I thought, well, I like games - why not?

And so it was, my first job out of school was working as a 'Sega Master' on the Sega Hotline, where people would call up and ask for help with whatever game they were playing a the time. It was a golden time in my life!! Paid to play video games!! Out of all of the calls for help, I'd have to say the most frequent was for 'Alex Kidd in Miracle World' - the game that was built-in to the console itself. All someone would have to say was 'I'm stuck in a room with boxes on the ground..." and we'd pipe-up with 'Sun... Waves... Moon..."... to which the panicked caller would ask what we were referring to... to which we'd explain... and they'd run off for a pen and paper. It's certainly handier to have youtube these days!!



Following from my Sega Master days, I wrote reviews and appeared on 1990s Video Game show (produced by Sydney based Beyond Productions) "The Zone". More on this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment